The religion of Sewing- March 2018 .
The first month of this year has flown by, but we don’t really mind as we are looking forward to our retreat on Valentia Island this March
There are two main projects on offer, but you are more than welcome to just bring your own projects to work on if either of these doesn’t appeal to you.
Trip around the world quilt- size 66 ½ x 66 ½ inches
Not as hard as you think, and definitely not sewing all those small squares together. You will learn this clever trick on how to put this quilt together. If this is the project for you, then we have a limited number of kits available in this colour scheme, or you can pre order a different colour scheme altogether.
The Requirements for this project are
- 12 colours from a range of tones including lights, darks and mediums : from each fabric you need 10 inches across the width of fabric.
- When you have selected the above fabrics cut all into 2 ½ inch strips
- 18 inches of white or light border fabric ( leave in one piece )
- 24 inches of outer border fabric ( leave in one piece )
- 20 inches of binding ( leave in one piece )
The more advanced project is a Bargello
Finished size 96 x 98 inches
The picture here is only half the quilt as I’m still working on the other half. This is a big quilt, that requires a lot of sewing, but I might add very enjoyable. Again it’s a specific technique to create the effect.
This is a pattern from the book below and I have some copies for 20 euro each, if anyone would like one please let me know. Otherwise you can order it off Amazon or The Book depository.
If you decide to order it, I would do it straight away as there may be quite a few orders. Also if anyone requires fabric then get onto us straight away and we will organise it for you. Again it can be in colours of your choosing
The Requirements for this quilt are
- 24 colours from a range of tones including lights, darks and mediums from each fabric you need 10 inches.
- The book says you need 5/8th of a yard of each fabric x 24, but if you have pre cut half yards at home that you want to use, you will get away with it as the cutting instructions says cut 7 strips 2 ½ inches wide. You may pre cut these before you arrive
- If you want to add a border at the end you will need 60 inches extra of 1 fabric for a 6 inch wide border.
- Binding: 30 inches of binding fabric
This picture may help you select your fabrics for the bargello.
Other things to bring
Cutting Mat, Cutter and long ruler
Sewing Kit: Scissors, Pins, threads etc..
An iron to keep in your room may be handy
Other Projects if you need a change
Also don’t forget to bring any meds and take your GLASSES!!
Click on the link below to see a short clip on the projects
Breakfast and evening meals are included in the price, lunch is not included and is up to each individual to organise but will be available at the hotel bar. You may want to bring a waterproof coat and walking shoes in case you need to go for a walk. See you all soon, I’ll be in touch before we head off. Any questions then you can contact me anytime.
If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below, or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible.